Sunday, November 25, 2012

Happy Birthday, Jeff

Today would have been Jeff's 30th birthday, and he is much on my mind. It's a strange time of year for us all. Thanksgiving is a time of celebration and feeling grateful, while Jeff's birthday reminds us of his loss. It's getting easier on me to remember his smile and his kindness, and not be crippled by the grief of never being able to see him again. I am reminded of his sassy way and his easy laugh, and remembering our times together makes me grateful to have had them at all. My sassy daughter is ready to send up another birthday balloon this year, and has asked if we could attach a small piece of cake for Uncle Jeff this time. I like that his memory lives on in her spirit, and that we have the time together to honor his memory with this small gesture that means so much to her.

My mother plans to drop off the latest batch of hats during this week, and she has amassed quite a stash. This time around there are about 150 hats, with some donated socks and scarves. We discussed whether we should refocus our efforts on helping those devastated by Hurricane Sandy, but decided to stick with our demographic, as they are often overlooked, under-served, and just as in need of some warmth and attention.

We carry on Jeff's spirit with this project, and I take particular joy in knitting with the notion that each hat is essentially for my little brother. I know this would be something he would be proud of. While it may seem relatively insignificant in really helping an addict, a hat knit with our mother's love is a small symbol of hope, just like the balloon my daughter sends into the sky each year on Jeff's birthday.

Hoping this finds you safe and well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment